Much attention is given to counter bullying in schools, workplaces and social media. The abuse is not always obvious, however, and many people feel quietly victimized and strategies for workplace injustice don’t give them a voice. Some people call it the “social death penalty”. Recent studies have concluded that the issue is social ostracism and does more damage to people’s mental and physical well-being than bullying. The bottom line for employers? Higher turnover (high rates of turnover lead to higher costs related to recruiting and training new employees), it reduces performance on difficult intellectual tasks, and can also contribute to aggression and poor impulse control, all of which affects the bottom line.

As a mental health advocate, my attention is drawn to mental illness stigma as one of the reasons why someone may be ostracized. I’m concerned, too, with overall mental health because social rejection increases anger, anxiety, depression, jealousy and sadness. On one of my last jobs before retirement word got among fellow employees out that I had bipolar disorder. Several of my co-workers started treating me with a slight smirk and limited or avoided interaction with me. Ignorance, which is the basis for mental illness stigma, conditioned them to ostracize me and, to them, it was socially acceptable. I needed a friend or two on the job. People I liked and who liked me helped me look forward to going to work each day and doing my best instead of overwhelming feelings of paranoia.

Ostracism is among the most devastating experiences we can endure whether on the playground or in the workplace. Not only can ostracism damage the brain; it is also more commonly directed at those who have cognitive and psychiatric challenges.  I faced both with multiple sclerosis which affected my short-term memory and bipolar disorder where occasional mood swings became obvious.

Professor Sandra Robinson of the University of British Columbia concluded in her study of the issue:

“We’ve been taught that ignoring someone is socially preferable — if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all. But ostracism leads people to feel more helpless, like they’re not worthy of any attention at all.”

British film director Derek Jarman best summarizes why every workplace should be reminded social exclusion is unacceptable: “Pain can be alleviated by morphine but the pain of social ostracism cannot be taken away.”

Comments

03/26/2017 1:27pm

post

03/26/2017 10:00pm

I believe that social abuse is more traumatizing than some other abuses, although I believe as well that they aren't all good. Social abuse does more damage to people's mental and physical well being because it involves other people's attention and you are the center of their attention. Social abuse involves a larger group of people than bullying that is why I consider it more damaging. I believe as well that being socially acceptable is one of the solutions. There are other solutions that can be used.

06/16/2017 7:32pm

thanks

07/11/2017 9:30pm

Nice article! I appreciate your willingness to share the not-so-good experience of your life and by doing so, you have proved that there is nothing wrong with being open about one's weaknesses, instead, it shows that you are strong enough to accept the fact and have nothing to hide. I believe that some weaknesses become strengths in the end, if taken positively and an example of this would be your story and how you came to be a mental health advocate. Bullying may seem to be fun for other people, but it starts to badly affect the mental health of the victim and I think that this should be well taken care of parents, teachers, counselors and by the victim as well. As a suggestion, I think that every school has to have a good and an accommodating guidance counselor wherein they would help victims cope up with the situation positively and also to teach bullies the right way to behave with other people and these learnings would probably come along until kids grow up and adjust to a different environment. Thanks for sharing to help people stand for themselves.

03/26/2017 1:29pm

I am really happy to read this post because it is about the education of schools and universities. We should read the educational post and new generation need to guideline. Keep sharing like this post.

Employers must have something to do about social death penalties. Their employees are not the only one who will suffer, but them as well. I also believe that good things in the workplace should start on them. Social detahpenalty is no joke at all and it should be given attention. I hope you can post more about this. Thank you for sharing this.

03/28/2017 8:32am

Instagram and Pinterest have contributed significantly towards people becoming geared towards visual content in the online environment. Since 40% of people have better response rates when presented with information in a visual form rather than text, businesses are adapting their promotional strategies to add more visuals.

With all the new channels constantly emerging, it's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking about social media as a tactical plan instead of a strategic one. The best social media plans set forth measurable goals that work with any social venue. We understand why it makes sense to pay attention to social media, but where should you focus your attention?

04/29/2017 1:31am

There are some dissertation web pages while using internet when you turn out to be obviously stated in your weblog.

Benistar
05/18/2017 3:36am

Established in 1978, Benistar is a nationwide leader in the administration of 419 welfare benefit plans and post-65 group retiree medical benefits. Benistar's ...

06/24/2017 10:47pm

Perhaps you should think about this from more than one angle.

07/31/2017 2:03pm

Isn't it amazing how the internet has done wonders to the industry of network marketing today? The whole process of online MLM lead generation and the ability to generate free network marketing lead is so simple now and there is no necessity to buy MLM lead anymore once you master the few techniques of network marketing lead generation. Best of all, this can be done for free through the various social network platform available.

08/02/2017 12:07am

Really effectively written, I hope next time is usually fantastic, thanks for sharing.

08/03/2017 3:32am

Dedicated server is best for that important to secure important data's and can manage server on their own.